I’ve been doing a lot of audits on my life recently (with GREAT results), which made me start thinking about other kinds of audits … specifically social media audits! A lot of the people that I see and communicate with on social media are potentially (and very possibly) not really keeping up with all of the social media updates. Granted, that is challenging even for professionals in the field, as changes occur so rapidly!
For example, I took a bit of a hiatus from Snapchat recently, only to return to a social platform that I barely recognized! In this case, it was like using chopsticks … I simply picked it up again and started using, with minimal effort. (I would have said like riding a bike, but I haven’t ridden a bike in so many years I very well may have forgotten how 😉 )
So, my friends of the internet, it’s time to do that social media audit; see what needs tweaking or needs some more major attention, and then take action on updating your social networks and/or strategies!
Here are five areas that you could audit within your overall social media marketing strategy and see what needs a lift:
- Snapchat’s most recent update is a location based map search. You can now be found on maps based on your profile information, and based on the fact that you GIVE Snapchat permission to be seen on the maps. I have discovered from some of my closest Snapchat friends that the location is VERY accurate (pointing directly to their home addresses) so you may want to turn this function off until you learn best how to use it for yourself. You can turn it off, for now, under Settings ? Manage Preferences ? Maps ? then untick that box on Share Usage Data.
- Facebook Pages now has video as a cover option, as opposed to an image. Video is HUGE, everywhere on social (even I don’t do it enough to be honest) so, for marketing purposes, it is in your (and mine) best interest to start using it as much as possible. If you don’t want to “pay to play”, or spend hours using organic methods, video is your #1 choice for being found and engaged with more regularly on Facebook. I made a cover video for my page! Check it out at facebook.com/makingsenseofsocialmedia. This is an interesting read about video in 2017, I think it will make it’s mark on your choices when it comes to making videos, moving forward.
- New Twitter UI = Twitter changed everything. Do you like it? I am getting used to it and quite like it. It just feels more streamlined, more 2017, easier, prettier. These are #Lorrisms, of course I’m quite sure there are more technical terms belonging to all the changes that occurred, this is just my variation on their theme.
- Instagram LIVE very recently added replays to their lineup. Meaning, if you missed someone’s LIVE broadcast while it happened … live; Instagram is now giving you a chunk of time in order to consume that content; another 24 hours I do believe. And, last but not least…
- Facebook Audio which is essentially podcasting on Facebook (pages only, and currently mobile only as far as I can tell). MEANING, if you want to get on this LIVE gravytrain, but aren’t camera ready every day, or perhaps are STILL camera shy, turn your LIVE on through your Facebook Pages app, set it to AUDIO and just start talking! Talk with a purpose of course, don’t just start rambling 😉 What your viewers will see is a picture of you and an audio wave, and they’ll hear your voice; AKA a LIVE podcast. You can engage and interact the same as a video LIVE.
These are all different platforms and strategies to audit for your own social media marketing purposes. Are you on top of these? If you are … YOU ARE AMAZING! If not, don’t kick yourself, things will likely change again in a few days, so catch up then.
If you would like consulting on all things social media, visit my website and fill in the form you’ll find underneath the video; let’s connect and see if we are a good fit for working together.